Gospel-Driven Godliness and Church Leadership, Part 5
Scripture: Titus 1:6–1:9
Gospel-Driven Godliness and Church Leadership
Text: Titus 1:5-16
I. Elders must be above reproach in their family life. 1:6
II. Elders must be above reproach in their personal life. 1:7-8
III. Elders must be above reproach in their doctrinal life. 1:9
A. The Elder’s Devotion
1. The gospel is “trustworthy”
2. The gospel is “Apostolic”
B. The Elder’s Task, v. 9b
1. Exhort in sound doctrine
2. Rebuke those who contradict sound doctrine
1. We must look for a man in whom the gospel is paramount in both his life and ministry.
2. A qualified leader has a teachable spirit.
3. If a preacher is not going to proclaim some aspect of the riches of Christ in every sermon, he shouldn’t be in the pulpit.
4. The health and wellbeing of a church is dependent upon the leadership always making a clear distinction between the law and gospel.
5. The life and teaching ministry of an elder must be self-consciously gospel-centered if he is to have any kind of effectiveness in the church.
© John Fonville
Permissions: Permission is happily granted to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not revise the wording in any way and do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. For web posting, a link to this document on Paramount’s website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by John Fonville.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Fonville
More in Titus
January 18, 2015Demonstrate the Charity of Good Citizenship, Part 2
September 14, 2014Demonstrate the Charity of Good Citizenship
August 31, 2014Threats To Good Citizenship, Part 4